Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.
During Design and Technology, the children learn to design, make and evaluate products in a range of contexts with a focus on creative and critical thinking. Throughout the school year pupils are given opportunities to apply their learning and skills in some amazing projects! Some large scale projects and some small, but they all help the children to see how the designing, making and evaluating process works in real contexts.
investigate things and say how they work, what they do and what they are made of;
plan what to make and be able to tell someone else about it;
make things from our plans and be able to say what has or has not worked well and why;
work with tools and equipment safely to measure and mark, cut and shape, join and combine and decorate and finish different materials;
learn about how to use different materials and mechanisms.
- investigate and evaluate products to help generate ideas for our own work;
- make detailed plans for our ideas showing what we want to achieve and how to do it;
- use our plans to make products, evaluating and adapting our ideas as we work;
- work with tools and equipment safely and accurately to measure and mark, cut and shape, join and combine and decorate and finish different materials;
- learn about how different materials and mechanisms can be used for a purpose